Blue Plaques NSW – 2022 Public Nominations round
Nominations for new Blue Plaques in NSW are now closed.
Nominations opened 13th November 2022
Nominations closed 11pm 21st December 2022
Nominations are reviewed by Heritage NSW January – April 2023
Nominators and property owners are notified, and successful nominations announced First half of 2023
Successful Blue Plaques installed from mid 2023
About the Blue Plaques program:
The Blue Plaques program brings to life the extraordinary people and events that shaped the history of NSW. It is designed for our citizens to learn about the history of their local region by discovering the events that happened there and the people that lived, worked, or gathered there.
Thirty-five Blue Plaques have been announced since the program began in June 2021, including those of pioneering female aviator Nancy Bird Walton, Dr Charles Perkins who dedicated his life to civil rights for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, and Hawaiian surfer Duke Kahanamoku who helped popularise surfing in NSW.
Looking for inspiration or just want to know more about who has already received a Blue Plaque? Read about the first Blue Plaque recipients here
To learn more about the Blue Plaques process, from nomination to installation, read our case studies below:
What is eligible for a Blue Plaque?
To be eligible for a Blue Plaque, nominations need to:
- have an interesting story to tell about a real person, people or event that has made a lasting impact on NSW
- include a good location for a plaque that is in NSW and that is:
- directly relevant to the story, and
- is visible and accessible to the public
- be appropriate, sensitive, and engaging to a wide public audience
- be about a person or people who died prior to 1 January 2000 OR is about an event that occurred before 1 January 2000
- have written support from the owner of the property where you are nominating the plaque to be installed (if on private or council-owned property)
For the full eligibility criteria, including what is not eligible for a Blue Plaque, please refer to the Nomination Guidelines.
Nomination preparation video (Webinar)
Guidelines for developing a factually accurate nomination
Guidelines for seeking property owner support
Terms and Conditions for property owners
If you have any questions about the Blue Plaques NSW program, feel free to contact us at:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 02 9873 8500